Why Are Hurricane Shutters Important?
Trying to understand why hurricane shutters are important?
The average wind speed for a tropical storm here along the coast is 73mph. Wind speeds are even higher for a hurricane, starting at 75mph for just a Category 1 storm. Builder grade windows are only able to sustain a maximum of 77mph wind speeds before cracking and bursting due to the increased pressure caused by these massive wind speeds.
Along with the cost of repairing damages done to a home by a storm, homeowners are left with an even bigger bill when replacing windows that have been broken by the storm. Luckily, there is a simple solution to prevent such damage.
Hurricane shutters aid in the prevention of cracked and shattered windows, as well as blocking out debris, wind, and rain from the storms. Hurricane shudders remain the most widely used form of window protection against a storm’s damaging winds. Standard hurricane shutters are able to withstand 140mph wind speeds.
Here are just a few important ways that hurricane shutters can protect your home and your family:
- Protect windows from shattering.
- Prevent exterior doors from cracking or being destroyed.
- Block out wind, rain, and harmful debris.
- Increase a home’s resale value.
- Security; aid in preventing home break-ins.
Hurricane shutters come in a wide variety of materials, shapes, sizes, and price. Currently, there are 4 different types of hurricane shutters.
- Acts like an awning.
- Can be hidden in the offseason.
- Easily pulls across windows quickly.
- Propped open on sticks.
- Most traditional form of shutters.
- Decorative shutters when not in use.
- Adds curb appeal as well as safety.
Along with the 4 main types of shutters, there are additional layers that can also be added to your home’s exterior, providing even more protection.
– Fabric Shields
- PVC coated fabric.
- Highly effective, low-cost alternatives to traditional aluminum panels.
– Storm Catchers
- Acts as a bullet proof vest for your home’s exterior.
- Allow light to filter in so you can see outside.
– Rigid Panels
- Traditional window coverings.
- Aluminum or Lexan materials.
Protect your home, and your family, by purchasing hurricane shutters from Folkers. Not only do you need quality shutters to protect your home, they should be installed properly – or they won’t protect your home. The experts and Folkers know the right shutters to use and we can install them for you (we NEVER sub-contract our work). Contact us today to schedule your free appointment and let us show you why we’re the number one window and home improvement company on the Gulf Coast!
Hurry, appointment slots are filling up fast!